As you make the move across state lines within the U.S., you have many priorities to get in order. From packing your belongings and saying goodbye to friends, to possibly starting a new job, this can be an exciting time for you. Before you can consider yourself settled in, there are some things you will have to take care of regarding the move. Setting up the electricity and water in the apartment might seem like no-brainers, but choosing a cable provider and package will take some research. And what about personal documents like a driver's license and vehicle registration?

Even if you do not have a car in the city, you should update your driver's license, as you likely use it as your main form of identification.  Also, there may come a time when you must rent a car and travel for work. If you do have a car and will bring it with you across state borders, you will need to apply for new license plates in your new home state as well.

Unfortunately, there is no set rule for how much time you have to update your driver's license. Each state has its own rules, but it is best to update information within 30 days after your move. Also, before you leave your state, file a change of address with the Secretary of State. This way, you are informing the government of your new address in a different state and you can still keep your license for the time being.

Although states have different rules for new licenses and vehicle registrations, here is specific information from four states around the country:

Illinois: If you are moving to Illinois, you have 90 days from the date of arrival to apply for a new driver's license and vehicle registration. You are considered a resident of Illinois after 30 consecutive days of living there, registering to vote and accepting a job.

A few exceptions to that rule would be college students or military personnel, as they are not considered permanent residents in a state when away from home.

New York: In New York, you have 30 to 60 days to apply for a new license and register your vehicle after moving to the state.

Texas: Texas state law requires residents to update their out-of-state license no later than 90 days after a move. However, your car must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days.

Wyoming: In Wyoming, you can drive with your out-of-state license for up to a year before updating the information.